1.13.2011

Sleeves

Oh those sleeves!  ARG!  They were too big and never fit quite right in the armholes!  NEVER!  I must have sewn a little shallowly somewhere and had to face an unsavory choice:

Undo some serious pain in the butt work to match things up 
(double top stitching anyone???) 
-or-
Make the sleeves a little gathered, more full and go for it.  

What do you think I did?



Oh yeah *cracking open a beer* that gathering was super easy.  I learned from a little project I did for Mr. Matt that sleeves need to be match up perfectly to fit.  They get loose or baggy anywhere in less than perfectly precise territory.  If sleeves and bodices were made of wood, they'd snap when they got together correctly, it'd be so perfect.  I tried four times to get these pieces to snap.  Two times with only one contact in.  But alas, my current sleeves never snapped.  So I bent them to my will.  And I'm happy with where we are now.



Speaking of sleeve debacles....I should catch you up on Matt's Christmas sweater, perhaps with another winner of a gem from the Archives to offer some perspective on my sewn gifts to my husband.  Stay Tuned.

3 comments:

  1. That looks very cute! Sleeves are always a pain. My favorite way of matching sleeves to armholes is to do a double row of basting on the sleeve edge, then gather, then spread the gather around the armhole, matching the top seam and bottom seam. When it's sewn and pressed over a ham, especially with a little steam (depending on the fabric) I can often get a really smooth fit.

    Granted, I didn't learn this method until several weird-looking sleeves were produced -- a vast difference from yours. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, that's a good tip! I will approach sleeves without fear now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see all your projects up close and personal! Need to plan a trip to see you.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love comments!